Nothing says “Parade” like a marching band, and last Saturday’s joint Juneteenth celebration had two. Both Asbury Park High School and Neptune Sr. High School bands were on hand to get the day underway, complete with cheerleaders and more marchers. There was even a parade of classic cars rolling down Springwood Avenue from Neptune to Asbury, and a very special car showcasing the King and Queen of Juneteenth. Everyone rolled into Springwood Park for a day of fun as sunny skies smiled down on families and kids of all ages. The Bouncy House provided fun for smaller kids and the deejay, Ruben Brey, kept the music pumping for spontaneous dancers and for a Zumba class led by Donna Morgan of Love in Action on Facebook.
Valerie Adams and her band kept the groove going, calling for all dancers to step to their funky beats and classic rhythms. The Asbury Park Technical Academy of Dance, under the direction of Michele Burrell, was on hand to present their ballet and modern dance moves.
The Juneteenth Committee presented a special acknowledgement to honor Dads who had been nominated by a family member to receive a special plaque and a $100 gift card.
Of course there was plenty of food, lots of vendors, and many old friends laughing, hugging and greeting each other on a special day of remembering FREEDOM! At the end of the festivities, the park became a floor as deejays spun the night away, calling out for everyone to get their dance on!
Juneteenth Committee Members:
- Angela Ahbez Anderson – Asbury Park Dems
- BiBi Bennett – BSB Photography
- Christian Fuscarino – Garden State Equality
- Dan Harris – Second Baptist Church
- David Lewis – MacroBites
- Derek Minno-Bloom – Trinity Church
- Dianna Harris – M.U.R.C.
- Dr. Pastor Semaj Vanzant – Encounter Christ Global Fellowship
- Emma Elam – Ryver Bey
- Giuseppe Grillo – Food Donations
- Katherine Cunningham – Trinity Church
- Mary Lizairie Boston – Asbury Park School District
- Nina M. Summerlin – Westside Citizens United, Springwood Avenue Rising and Summerlin Family Organization
- NJ Pan African American Chamber of Commerce
- Quiche Jones – Aetna
- Siarra Morris -Yogi Vibezz